Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Work, Work, Work. Work, Work, Work.

I have paused in Marfa to catch up on an endless deluge of work. I planned to take just the one extra day but, despite having put in my 8 hours already, I don't think even overtime tonight will be enough. And at this rate the soonest I would get to Houston would be Thursday night, putting me in the office on Friday, and then two days with nothing to do? Doesn't make sense.

So I think I will stay in Marfa for three nights instead of two, getting in two full days of work. Hopefully that will relieve the pressure enough to make the rest of the trip less tense. And I'll be able to make my way to Houston with more time to explore. I'll work full-time for three or four days in Houston, then head for Alabama.

I've been computer-bound all day except for an excursion at lunchtime. I went to the Marfa Presidio County Museum, possibly the only place in town that isn't trendy, minimalist, and/or ironic. Big collection of artifacts and photos from the old days. The museum is in a house built in 1883; still looks pretty darned good today. Must have been the equivalent of a mansion back then.

One bright spot: apparently that pronghorn buck is a regular. He was back this afternoon, although still awfully distant. This time I at least got a fuzzy photo.



A peek at www.visitmarfa.com shows me that I'm taking enough advantage of all the culture here in town. I will endeavor to improve.

I have heard, through various sources, that the wildflowers along the Rio Grande are really going off right now. I look forward to that ride, day after tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment