Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Waiting is Not the Hardest Part

It's 8:00 a.m. on my departure day from Houston. I will be sorry to leave the large, comfortable, business-expense room here at the Hyatt House and return to the level of motels that my own budget enforces.

Last night I pored over maps and made guesses about how many miles I would put in today. I planned to get an early start, since in Texas the thunderstorms tend to take the morning off and get stronger in the afternoon. I could probably get all the way to Mississippi today.

Well, some strong thunderclaps at about 7:00 a.m. preceded a cloudburst - the kind that would have me soaked in three minutes even with my so-called rain gear. Not the typical weather pattern today - a storm system is moving through, eastward, as I am. I want to be behind it, not in it, so I will take advantage of the noon checkout time here at the Hyatt. Won't make as many miles but, hey, at least I'll be mostly dry. Meanwhile, I just finished a light breakfast. I'll watch HBO, get online a little bit... no, the waiting is not the hardest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment